Friday, June 22, 2007

June 21, 22 2007

June 21, 22, 2007 – I have decided to rest up a bit before the last leg of the trip from Barkley Lake to Crystal River, Florida. With all of the exceptional weather we had from the time we left Norfolk, VA on the 18th of May until now we have traveled up the east coast of the USA and crossed Lake Ontario into Canada went up the Trent Severn Canal System across Georgian Bay on the Small Boat Trail into the North Channel to Drummond Island, through customs and into the Straits of Mackinac down to the Manitou Passage, down Lake Michigan’s east side to South Haven, MI across Lake Michigan to Chicago, down the Illinois Waterway into the Mississippi, down to the mouth of the Ohio River, up to the mouth of the Cumberland River, through Barkley Lock into Barkley Lake to Green Turtle Bay Marina in a day or so over a month. That is why there is a need for a period of rest and reflection. We had a bug attack when we arrived here so I am cleaning up the boat and doing other odd jobs, catching up on correspondence, working on the photographs taken along the way of which more have been posted.

This morning is humid and overcast and calls for rain seem likely. I got up with the birds this morning and took a long walk in the woods along the road leading into here. This was my first long walk to smell the roses so to speak in a month and I was sure out of shape going up and down the hills of Kentucky.

Bob is on his way home to North Carolina and more doctors appointments thanks to my friend Gerald who picked him up yesterday and drove him to Clarksville where he could catch a bus home. So this morning when I woke up it seemed strange not to have someone on the boat with me.

I will probably be writing some more occasionally as time wiles itself away and I have more time to reflect on the past month. It has been an exciting month to say the least. I hope to be able to spend time visiting with some friends as well up here in Kentucky and Tennessee.

No comments: