Friday, March 23, 2007

March 22, 2007

I spent a second day in Beaufort, SC today and this time I went to see as much as I could in the other half of the city. I know I probably did not touch half of the things but most of the historic buildings and such lie within about maybe six blocks each way and then about four blocks from the river into the city. The rest of the city expanded after the early 1700’s. This made it a nice city to walk about without taking a tour. This place is exceptionally buggy tonight as there is no breeze. It went away as quick as the sun set. I put up two sets of photos for those of you who have gotten the photo link from earlier postings. They are mostly of the azaleas and the architecture of the homes down here. I also have some of the Episcopal Church which was established in 1712. I also was able to go in and take a couple of pictures of the interior. They did not trust Catholics and the religion was banned early on in the southern colonies because of the close proximity to Florida which was Spanish. They felt that if people were allowed to practice Catholicism they would be more likely to side with the Spanish. I got this bit from the man who was leading the walking tour through the cemetery of the Episcopal Church. The early churches here buried there people right next to the church and you walked through the cemetery on your way to church for services. And it was interesting that some people were buried in the ground and some in little mausoleums above the ground. They must have thought that at some point when a hurricane came by that the water would raise the dead from the ground. I really have no idea, I am just rattling on. Maybe some of you can set me straight since I do my own history tours.

After going around photographing the city in cloudy weather this morning the afternoon was really a great one with lots of sunshine and since no breeze was available lots of the wonderful no-see-ums were there to fill the void. Tonight Shorty has company in the slip beside us. There is a little 24 foot cruiser and they just came in and went to a hotel. That is the way they are traveling. So at last we are docked and are larger than the boat docked next to us.

Today there were bus loads of students walking through the historic section of town on a history treasure hunt. Each group had photos of an object and they had to find it and then take a photo of it to show they had been there. They were swarming the cemetery of the church when I was there looking for the oldest grave site in the cemetery. It was kind of a way to make history fun for them.

I sat down for one more swing on one of the porch swings for Marilee and while I sitting there they began to fill with tourists waiting to see what the sunset would look like. So sitting there slowly swinging back and forth a lady came by and asked if she might join me since all of the others were filled up and I said sure. She asked what I was doing in Beaufort since I didn’t seem to be dressed like the others on tours and tour buses. She asked me where I was born and I said Iowa. She said she was from Iowa and on one of the tours from there. I asked her where she was born and shed said Clarence, Iowa so I told her I was from Sumner and she said no way. I said that I had retired and then some from her group came up and I did not get to find out how old she was but I bet if I looked up old stuff in Iowa I might recognize her or maybe my brother and his wife will. It is certainly a small world and what a way to end what was a perfect stay in Beaufort, South Carolina. Well a few minutes after sunset the bugs hit because the breeze went to zero and they needed more blood from my hide.

This issue is going to be pretty short tonight because tomorrow morning I leave for Charleston, South Carolina from here and I figure that it is at least 80 miles of hard going because of the tides which can cut your speed sometimes as much as 5 knots depending on the tidal stage and current.

No comments: