Tuesday, March 20, 2007

March 20, 2007

Today was play tourist day. I met a couple from Raleigh, North Carolina who are getting ready to finish the loop when they arrive there. They were going to town and take the tour of Savannah so I decided if they would have me here I come. We had to work a long city block to catch the bus to Savannah that was close to our marina. If you see a Texan riding a bus you know he is poor. It was really nice; it dropped us off very close to the visitor’s center downtown. From there friends had told them which tour was the best since they were from Savannah but were out of town at the moment and couldn’t take them down there. It was a great tour with a good guide on the bus but with one problem, they did not stop and let you off to take photos. You could get on and off alright but you would have had to do it fourteen times as that is the number of different stops they made that were close to what you wanted to photograph but we did not have that much time. The history lesson was really good and it really made one want to come back to take in all this in a slower way so as not to forget it. Since I did not have a tape recorder with me I am not going to give a history lesson but I have brought some materials with me that I will take home and read and maybe add to this blog later on. The tour guide was also funny. In the process though we rode with two other bus drivers and their tales were different from the other so it was very interesting, each had more to add to the story and featured different things in his talk.

On the bus ride home I sat next to a man who works as a tradesman when they do restorations of old homes here which is a big business it seems. They also have the Savannah College of Art and Design and if I got it right, it is the largest college in the country that grants degrees in art and restoration of buildings and etc. Their campus is scattered around Savannah in different restored buildings and their dormitory was the only thing modern as they attend school around the city. It was just too much for me to absorb at any one sitting. They city is laid out in a grid with various park areas scattered in a pattern throughout the grid. If you remember Brunswick, GA was done the same way and both were done by John Ogelthorpe who was the founder of Georgia.

After the long day it was another bus ride home to the marina. This marina has a car you can use to run errands so tonight the three of us went shopping for groceries at Walmart which was a big help and much cheaper than the regular stores and you don’t need a card to get a little bit of savings. So I have a boat load of groceries some of which has not found a home at this particular moment. If I move tomorrow I will have to find a place to stow them. I will need to know wind speed and direction as I will have a run over some areas of fairly large bodies of open water. I see now where they have also included a twenty percent chance of showers which will help to take some of the salt off of the bimini.

It is nine o’clock and I do not know where I use up all of the time. I am going to process the few photos I took today and see what they look like so goodnight for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Larry,
We've found your blog :-).
Nice to read about your trip from Brunswick and how everything went for you; it will be a great help for us when we have to come down and move the boat.
We've come home to snow, ice and sub-zero temperatures. It's hard to choose between that and no-see-ums!
Chris found a nice site that shows aerial photos of marinas. I think it was marinas.com. I don't know if you are familiar with it.
Hope to see you on the water in a couple of months
liz and Chris