Sunday, March 25, 2007

March 25, 2007

Since today was Sunday in Charleston, SC I decided that today I would go and photograph the old churches in hopes of getting one that was open and letting people just tour it. No such luck today. I started with the Catholic Cathedral which was very large and made of red brick which were very unassuming but there was something different about them. Instead of laying with holes down it looked as though they were laid on edge. It just seemed that way because of the pattern they used in the brick. Next I came upon some gardens and fountains in between the buildings as I went. I also saw some more neat and unusual homes. In one of the gardens leading to a church I spotted what appears to be some holly berries or some such plant. Maybe those of you who are flower and plant buffs can identify them for me. Next I came to the Unitarian Church which had some unusual features about it. The Lutheran church had what is known in the original glass windows as rain glass because it always has the look of being wet with water. Another person called it crying glass for it had absorbed the sins of men. The Congregational Church was the most unusual of all since it was a church in the round. A person could certainly not hide from their sins in that church. I don’t believe I have ever seen a church in the round before but since I am from Iowa I have seen round barns. And of course no list would be complete without another beautiful Episcopal Church. That concluded today’s tour as my feet and legs were simply worn out after walking at least eight miles this weekend on foot or more. I also went back to the old marketplace and I am still amazed that the buildings are four blocks long. Of course they are open in many places where you can go in and out through the old market stalls which are now filled with many things they did not originally have when first built.

The city was full of tourists today going around on horse and buggy tours, trolley tours, bus tours, limo tours, and as mine was a walking tour with a map and do it yourself.

Tomorrow I plan on moving up the waterway again. I don’t know how far, it depends on the weather but right now the plan is to be in Georgetown, SC tomorrow evening. I will again play tourist but I am also going to have to do laundry, buy a few groceries if possible and other boat things like cleaning in the interior again. My feet got wet cleaning the outside today and then after cleaning them on the door mat I carried something oily in on them anyhow. A boat is constantly in the process of being cleaned, polished and other stuff serviced. No complaints I just thought I would say something because what I am doing is not a ride in the park. I also have to study charts this evening as well as cook something to eat and then in the morning it will all pay off with an enjoyable day on the waterway.

No comments: