Saturday, March 24, 2007

March 24, 2007

This was just one of those gorgeous spring days that are just right. I hope everyone is now having spring weather because when I was in Florida sleeping under two sleeping bags I wasn’t sure that spring was going to ever get here. I got up early today and fixed breakfast and then got myself over to the stop for the Marina van trip downtown to see some of the historic sites. I had him drop me off on Market Street in the old section of town which is also down by the river where the cruise lines tie up when they are in Charleston. If I remember correctly the one at the dock today was the liner Norwegian Princess from the Norwegian Cruise Lines. It was unloading so it was pretty much a mad house. The US Customs House is also right there by the docks. There were a couple of container ships coming and going also which I think is normal in all ports I have been to and even in Brunswick, GA where I did not expect to see them. Well I wound my way through the old market which was four buildings of all kinds of jewelry, paintings, basket work, and various other wares. I saw lots I was interested in but nothing I could take with me on the boat. Then I started my usual four blocks around walk which usually turns up a lot of interesting history. I had just got to the first church which was another Episcopal Church when the battery on my camera quit. It did not notify me any earlier in the day. So I walked back to the Marina to charge the battery for it. On the way I peeked into all sorts of little walkways between homes and gardens in little side yards so I will definitely being going back tomorrow morning and give it another try since I have recharged the battery. I walked on real old cobblestone streets and sidewalks made from original slate laid every which way but not flat. This is not high heeled shoe country. This afternoon I took another walk closer to the Marina and took some photos of the houses and architectural things that are somewhat different in each southern city I have visited. I am going to try to post those to the photo link I have set up. The morning trip must have been at least a five mile walk so I needed a break before I started out again. The afternoon walk was about a mile or two so I am hoping my feet are ready for tomorrow morning.

Back at the Marina it was boats on parade day as all the locals drive their boats past to get a look at what’s new in town at the Megadock of Charleston. That means that all of us on the face dock get bounced up and down all day as we sit on our boats looking at their boats go by. The highlight of the boat parade was the one with what looked like a load of Hooters girls in bikinis to much cheering. It came by just before I laid down to get my sore feet some rest. I thought it would end but another boat just went by tonight. I also walked all 3000 feet of dock and looked at the boats just like everyone does and there are some really gorgeous boats here. A lot of them were restored and also a lot of brand new. My favorites of course, are the trawlers. They have some really nice ones and some; well there are a few that can’t make up their mind as to where they should be classified. I think I am probably the smallest boat here but I will keep looking. The one thing I can tell you is that you meet some of the friendliest folks you will ever find no matter where I have been down here. They will help you with anything and everything.

I am having a hard time keeping up with all the business cards I have collected with all of boats on them. I did not think of having one done with Shorty’s photo on it. You live and learn new things every day. I am always inputting new email addresses and trying to remember everyone I meet. Tonight I saw the PDQ Catamaran that is on the Loop so I will try to visit with them and see what they have been doing since we last crossed paths. On the walk down the dock I was looking for any new boats on the Loop but that was the only one I know of for sure. Its time to close up for the evening; before the no-see-ums find out I still have my windows open. The dinner cruise boat just went past and is turning around for its second pass of the evening.

http://www.photogserver.net/file/larryhoth/Shorty's%20Photos/

Everyone knows to hold down control and click the link to the photos and go to each file and click to open it and then click the individual photo. If anyone is having trouble just email me.

No comments: