Saturday, March 3, 2007

March 3, 2007

We left Fernandina Beach today and headed a ways up north, for me I had decided that would be Brunswick, Georgia. I think it rained all night and also this morning. Every time I woke up it was still doing it until about nine o’clock this morning. I went alongside Tracy and Molly’s boat Sunrise today on the way to their marina on Jekyll Island. The day before a couple of guys in a large Hatteras left and came back much later and said they had been stuck on a sand bar two different times but able to back off. So I went along in case Tracy would have trouble. Well I wasn’t a great deal of help as he ran aground twice also and I got disoriented and could not relocate the buoy. I don’t know why I could not see it but my eyes just would not locate it. Their marina is on Jekyll Island which we went right by on my way to Brunswick. Tonight I am tied up at Brunswick Landing Marina in the East River right on the old main street of the city, which is just a block from the docks. I thought it would be nice to just be close so one could walk around the old part of the city. I am afraid that it might be one of those places that becomes a Velcro dock. I found that there are many live aboards here and they have even brought there cars down here. I haven’t had time to find out if there are any people who are on the great loop cruise here yet. I met a couple with two dogs they had adopted in New Bern, NC, I believe. Anyhow she said they have a get together with all the liveaboards at the club house on Wednesday nights. I like the sound of that, it will give me a chance to meet some more people. Shorty is docked right next to a Gulfstar 44 tonight that looks as though someone is working on it. The boat across from me has some beautiful etched egret double doors on a trawler.

As of right now I will give the Brunswick Landing Marina five stars. It has the best restrooms and showers I have encountered on the trip thus far and it has free laundry. The only thing missing is a grocery store across the street. When I arrived here this afternoon the lady in charge of the dock said that just a block away they hold a farmers market every Saturday until five in the afternoon. Well, I ziggyed right over there as fast as I could because it was 4:30 already and I came back with some fruit, some really good strawberries, tangelos, peanuts, yams and etc. Now I am ready to eat again. I can’t seem to go without fruit very long. The only thing I could not find was my beloved bananas. I am going to have to go to the supermarket while I am here. It is a mile away but then they have a taxi that you can get to bring you back when you are loaded up with stuff.

Today we passed through a lot of country that was a lot like northern Florida. The marsh grasses alongside the channel were so golden in color. The first place we crossed today was Cumberland Sound and then alongside Cumberland Island where there are some wild horses. We did not see any today and the next place we crossed was Jekyll Sound and on the way into Brunswick across St. Simons Sound then into the Brunswick River and finally to the East River in Brunswick. There seems to be a lot of paper plants in the area and a lot of shrimp boats are tied up at docks as you go along the waterway. We also passed the Kings Bay area where the submarines come in to dock. It was very benign looking except for the two huge tugs that are docked there. There were also some huge hanger type buildings where they work on the submarines when they are in port. I was disappointed that I didn’t see a submarine. We also made the trip at low tide which made it interesting because we looked to be about five feet lower in the channel and people were shelling on Jekyll Island as we came by.

No comments: